Tuesday, February 7, 2012

It suits him to a Tee!

We're still birthday-ing at our house.  Today is my husband's birthday.  And it's one of those decade-noteworthy events that call for a special gift.  Because of that I haven't spent much time in the kitchen ... any free moments I've found have been spent upstairs in my new sewing room.  My husband and son used several days of their school fall break last October to strip wallpaper and repaint my room and I'm just now beginning to get things in order.  Got the machine set up, found a good worktable at a reasonable price, a couple of bookcases and now just have to reclaim my sewing paraphernalia and supplies from the attic after giving up my corner in the bonus room a few years ago.


It's only fitting that the first project in my new room was for his birthday.  Over the years he has accumulated a collection of t-shirts from marching band and show choir days in high school, community theater, and children and youth choir programs, so I decided to convert them into a t-shirt quilt. 

I've never made a t-shirt quilt until now ... I've never made a quilt of any kind until now, so I did a good bit of research online and consulted with a co-worker who is an accomplished quilter before deciding I was up to the task.  There's been a great deal of hiding and sneaking around trying to catch him out of the house so I could work.  There's also been quite a few nights of burning the midnight oil after he went to bed.  Many thanks to son Jonathan also for helping his tired Momma.  I just wish I had thought of this gift idea much sooner than I did so I wouldn't have had to work at such a frantic pace.  I'm pooped, but mission is accomplished!!  

Quilt top is finished and ready for him to pick out the border and backing fabric, which I knew he would want to do.  I'm quite pleased with the result but more importantly, so is he ... Happy Birthday, Dear!



This post has been linked to "Trick or Treat Tuesdays" and

No comments:

Post a Comment