Friday, March 16, 2012

Corned Beef Casserole



I grew up on this casserole.  It was one of Mother's go to comfort dishes.

For St. Patrick's Day weekend it just seemed right.

So, I prowled through my stash of recipes and found the original copy that Mother used, written in pencil on notebook paper and now quite faded.  I also found where I had rewritten the recipe on a small index card and looking at the handwriting I'd guess it was my teenage handwriting ... just a few years ago, you know.

A funny story about this one  ... I gave the recipe to a co-worker ages ago and as you'll see below it calls for "sweet milk."  That's what we called milk when I was little, didn't everyone?  Apparently, she was raised different than I was and so she interpreted it to mean sweetened condensed milk.  Needless to say, it didn't work very well.

But I'm still calling it sweet milk.

Corned Beef Casserole

1 cup (rounded) elbow macaroni, uncooked
1 cup green peas (I used the whole can)
1 can cream of celery soup
1 can corned beef
1/2 cup sweet milk (don't forget!)
1 teaspoon mustard
1 tablespoon butter, melted
black pepper to taste
1 cup shredded American cheese (or your favorite blend)

Cook macaroni according to package directions, drain and place in a large mixing bowl.  Add remaining ingredients, except cheese, and stir until well blended.  Pour into a large baking dish and bake at 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes until bubbly.  Sprinkle shredded cheese on top and bake another 5 minutes until melted.



Now I can't get that sweetened condensed milk out of my mind ... 
    

Weekend Potluck Linky

Linked to Weekend Potluck #9 ... check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment