Saturday, April 28, 2012

Rich Little Tea Cookies


Can you fix a little something sweet?  I got that question one Sunday afternoon and I completely agreed.  Sometimes you just need a little something sweet.


A quick shuffle through my clippings turned up this one for "Rich Little Tea Cookies".  Based on the yellow-ness of the clipping I would guess it came from an early 1980's edition of some unknown magazine and it says under the title they were "pictured on page 160".

But it seemed to fit the bill ... it was sweet, it was quick and more importantly, I had all the ingredients.


Rich Little Tea Cookies

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt

Put all ingredients in a large mixer bowl and mix on low speed until well blended.  Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and using floured hands, shape dough into 1-inch balls.


Place cookies on a large, ungreased cookie sheet (I opted for parchment paper).  Using a fork, mark the top of each crosswise, flattening as you go.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes until lightly golden.


Cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheet then remove to wire racks to complete cooling.  The recipe makes about 4 dozen cookies and it says "30 calories per cookie" ... they're small, but quite good.

I actually halved the ingredients giving us about 2 dozen because as I said we only wanted a "little" something sweet.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this! I used to make this recipe all the time when I was a kid but since lost it and haven't been able to find the exact one (even though its SO SIMPLE) until now!

    We used to sprinkle the cooled cookies with powered sugar. It's a nice touch :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I like the idea of a good dusting with powdered sugar - a little extra sugar is always good!

      Delete