Friday, May 11, 2012

Chocolate Lush


... or as Mother called it, "Layered Chocolate Delight."


It will answer to either name.  It is both lush and a delight, so take your pick.

Since this is Mother's Day weekend I chose a recipe from her "Favorites" collection.

This was one she made often, I loved it, and it reminds me of her.



Layered Chocolate Delight
(Chocolate Lush)


1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1 1/2 sticks margarine, melted
1 cup chopped pecans

Mix together and press in bottom of a 9- x 13-inch pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes until set and lightly browned.  Let cool for a few minutes.

8-ounce cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
16-ounce tub whipped topping, thawed
5 Heath candy bars, crushed
(I used about 1/2 bag of English toffee chips)

Place cream cheese in a mixing bowl and beat at low speed until creamy.  Add powdered sugar and mix until well blended.  Fold in 1 cup of the whipped topping.  Spread evenly over cooled crust.

2 small boxes instant chocolate pudding
3 cups milk

Whisk together pudding and milk until smooth.


Let set until thickened then spread over cream cheese layer.


Spread the remainder of the whipped topping over the chocolate layer and sprinkle generously with the crushed candy bars.  


Chill several hours or overnight before serving.  For this one, I used the chocolate fudge flavor of instant pudding.  Every now and then, Mother would change it up and use butterscotch pudding.  Trust me, it is equally as lush.

I found this picture of Mother in the kitchen.  The folding metal table was set up in the middle because the stove top and counter top were full of other dishes. We ate buffet style, with the little ones going through the line first.

Based on the menu laid out in front of her this is most likely a Thanksgiving family dinner because I spy the Cranberry salad, one of my favorites, and she always made this at Thanksgiving!  A lot of good cooking took place here.

I loved this kitchen ... and don't you just love that wallpaper!!

Linked to ...

Weekend Potluck #17, 
and at BruCrew's Trick or Treat Tuesdays,
and at Strut Your Stuff Saturday ...

GBPRecipeRoundUp
Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. OMG - this cake reminds me of the cake my mother used to make
    I just loooooooooooove it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever tried it with butterscotch? I'm a confessed chocoholic so that's my first choice, but the butterscotch is also very good. Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, this looks YUMMY!!! I love the photo of your mom in the kitchen. So nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pat Williams (Patsy)May 13, 2012 at 1:56 PM

    That kitchen brings back a lot of good memories!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a cute post and a delicious recipe. We make one similar but use Hershey's chocolate bar. We're so excited to try it with a Heath bar. Your mom looks like she was a fabulour cook!! We appreciate you linking up with us!! It's so fun to see all of the great ideas and recipes! We hope to see you back again soon! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! I enjoy your site and love checking out all the great posts!

      Delete