Saturday, November 12, 2011

Glazed Lemon Bread

I DO NOT LIKE COLD WEATHER.

But here we are, mid-November, marching fast and furiously toward the depths of winter.  The crisp scent of lemon however, reminds me of warmer days, so when I came across this clipping for a glazed lemon bread I couldn't resist.  Plus, once the oven heats I can open the door and stand next to it and stay toasty warm while all the measuring and mixing takes place.  The downside?  This bread is a fairly quick fix and I had to close the oven door way too soon.

Glazed Lemon Bread

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons lemon zest, divided
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon sparkling sugar

Beat softened butter at medium speed until creamy.  Gradually add 1 cup sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each until blended.

Stir together flour, baking powder, and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.  Add vanilla.  Stir in one tablespoon of lemon zest.  Spoon batter into a greased and floured 8- x 4-inch loaf pan.


Bake at 350 degrees for one hour or until center tests done.  Let bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes.  Remove from pan and let cool completely on a wire rack.




Stir together powdered sugar and lemon juice and spoon evenly over top of bread, letting the excess drip off the sides.  Mix remaining one tablespoon of lemon zest with sparkling sugar.  Sprinkle over glaze to garnish.

1 comment:

  1. I love your recipes, I am going to try this bread tommorow. It looks heavenly, I think I can smell it ........

    ReplyDelete