Sunday, November 20, 2011

A whole lot of chopping going on

but only because I took the longer way around to get to the finished product.  This recipe for Turnip Green Stew (adapted a bit from Southern Living) calls for the frozen mix of diced onions, celery, red and green peppers but I had a crisper full of all of the above that were crying to be used. 

Plus, I added in some diced orange bell pepper ... I like a splash of orange every now and then (Go Vols!)  

This recipe for Turnip Green Stew is a quick, one-dish meal in a bowl ... delicious and comforting!

Turnip Green Stew

2 cups chopped cooked ham
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 (16 ounce) packages frozen chopped turnip greens
2 (15.5 ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
4 cups (1 cup each) of diced onion, celery, red and green peppers
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon seasoned pepper

Saute chopped ham in olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat about 5 minutes until lightly browned.  Add diced onions, celery and peppers and cook a few minutes more until almost tender.  Add broth and remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat to low.  Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 35-40 minutes. 


And yes, it makes a pot full.


 
Linked to Weekend Potluck!!
Weekend Potluck Featured

5 comments:

  1. Oops, I guess I forgot that! It was late after all... I thought it quite good. Turnip greens are probably an acquired taste, but if you like greens you will enjoy this hearty version. Thanks for visiting my page!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at turnip greens. This southern girl is going to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it is good tonic for the Southern soul! Let me know what you think

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love turnip greens in this house! Pinning. Thanks so much for linking up at Weekend Potluck.

    ReplyDelete